fbpx
September 18, 2017 |  written by IVX Health

IVX Walks to Defeat ALS

This past weekend in Kansas City, IVX Health teamed up with advocates from across the Greater Kansas City Metro area and beyond to walk to defeat ALS.  Saturday's walk raised almost $430,000 to find a cure. You may remember the Ice Bucket Challenge, which helped raise awareness for ALS, but if you never caught the details of what the disease actually is, and why we're fighting against it, read on.   What is ALS? Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord.  People with ALS lose the ability to initiate and control muscle movement, often leading to total paralysis and death within two to five years of diagnosis.  Symptoms include the gradual loss of the ability to: speak swallow walk grasp objects move breathe Is there a cure? Not yet.  That's why we joined the Walk to Defeat ALS. Is there treatment? There is currently one FDA approved drug, an IV treatment, that can improve symptoms and extend survival in some patients.  It's an important step forward, but we can't stop there. How many people have ALS? Approximately 6,000 people are diagnosed every year, and military veterans are twice as likely to die from ALS.  It's estimated that up to 20,000 Americans may be living with ALS at any given time, and the condition affects people of every race, ethnicity and socioeconomic status all over the world.  And only 10 percent of cases are inherited through families -- the other 90 percent occur without any family history at all. How can I help? Joining the Walk to Defeat ALS is a great place to start.  You can start a team, walk as an individual, or donate to a walker if you can't or don't want to walk yourself.  You can find more ways to help at www.alsa.org. IV Treatment for ALS at IVX Health If IV medication is part of your treatment program, know that you have options on where and when to receive your infusion. IVX Health makes it possible for you to get your treatment and engage in self-care with a spa-like environment and the comforts of home at any of our offices.  You can receive your IV treatment while catching up on your favorite TV shows on our HDTVs, digging into the latest hit novel on our eReaders, or by simply hanging out with friends or family in your own private room.  You can bring your laptop and work if you’re on a tight deadline at work, or you can even bring your spouse and call it a date!  It’s the right care at the right place to get your health on track. We’re invested in helping you live your best life, so we offer appointments during days, evenings and on Saturdays at any of our convenient locations.  If you’re ready to experience the difference IVX Health can make in your life, give us a call at any of our locations.

This past weekend in Kansas City, IVX Health teamed up with advocates from across the Greater Kansas City Metro area and beyond to walk to defeat ALS.  Saturday’s walk raised almost $430,000 to find a cure.

We had our IVX booth at the ALS Walk to spread the word that ALS patients have options when it comes to IV treatment.

You may remember the Ice Bucket Challenge, which helped raise awareness for ALS, but if you never caught the details of what the disease actually is, and why we’re fighting against it, read on.

IVX at the KC ALS Walk

IVX joined the fight in KC against ALS in September.

 

What is ALS?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord.  People with ALS lose the ability to initiate and control muscle movement, often leading to total paralysis and death within two to five years of diagnosis.  Symptoms include the gradual loss of the ability to:

  • speak
  • swallow
  • walk
  • grasp objects
  • move
  • breathe

Is there a cure?

Not yet.  That’s why we joined the Walk to Defeat ALS.

Is there treatment?

There is currently one FDA approved drug, an IV treatment, that can improve symptoms and extend survival in some patients.  It’s an important step forward, but we can’t stop there.

How many people have ALS?

Approximately 6,000 people are diagnosed every year, and military veterans are twice as likely to die from ALS.  It’s estimated that up to 20,000 Americans may be living with ALS at any given time, and the condition affects people of every race, ethnicity and socioeconomic status all over the world.  And only 10 percent of cases are inherited through families — the other 90 percent occur without any family history at all.

How can I help?

Joining the Walk to Defeat ALS is a great place to start.  You can start a team, walk as an individual, or donate to a walker if you can’t or don’t want to walk yourself.  You can find more ways to help at www.alsa.org.

IV Treatment for ALS at IVX Health

If IV medication is part of your treatment program, know that you have options on where and when to receive your infusion.

IVX Health makes it possible for you to get your treatment and engage in self-care with a spa-like environment and the comforts of home at any of our offices.  You can receive your IV treatment while catching up on your favorite TV shows on our HDTVs, digging into the latest hit novel on our eReaders, or by simply hanging out with friends or family in your own private room.  You can bring your laptop and work if you’re on a tight deadline at work, or you can even bring your spouse and call it a date!  It’s the right care at the right place to get your health on track.

We’re invested in helping you live your best life, so we offer appointments during days, evenings and on Saturdays at any of our convenient locations.  If you’re ready to experience the difference IVX Health can make in your life, give us a call at any of our locations.

Treatment at IVX Health

If biologics like Remicade, Actemra or Orencia  are a part of your chronic illness treatment plan, then consider choosing IVX Health for your ongoing care needs. IVX Health makes it possible to receive your therapy in a comfortable, convenient, and private environment.

With a private suite for every patient, you can watch your favorite Netflix show or movie on the big screen TV in each room, use a laptop or other mobile device to surf the web, or simply hang out with family and friends. We always have chairs for guests, and each center has a family room that is spacious and private if you need to bring your kids to your treatment. We also offer flexible appointment scheduling – including evenings and Saturdays – at any of our convenient locations.

At IVX Health, we truly are invested in helping you live your best life. If you’re ready to experience a new kind of infusion clinic, click here to learn how to move your infusion or injection therapy to IVX Health.

Menu